Saturday, December 14, 2013

Beauty in the Early Morning Darkness

 The loveliness of the early morning hours is surreal and pleasant to the body and mind. There is something about the quietness of those hours before dawn that is tranquil and deeply spiritual. This is the time of day that I have begun to run.

Until recently I ran in the late afternoon but due to my crazy schedule and need to be with the children I had to be flexible and shift my priorities around. At first I was extremely resistant to any such notion as to wake up at 5 am and go running. But now I love the darkness and the bright stars of the early morning hours. I feel rejuvenated and alive, ready for the day.

Running for me has always been an important part of my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual wellbeing. I can’t even begin to count the number of prayers both said and meditated, as I weaved my way through the beautiful Summerville area of Augusta, Georgia. I used to run in the late afternoon as a way to let go of the stress built up over the course of the day. I also loved the western light. Late afternoon is by far my favorite part of the day. Augustine of Hippo in the 4th century had a real infatuation with the North African western light as well. He praised its beauty even as Alaric the Visigoth stood at the gates of Carthage, ready to sac the city.

The western light is beautiful as it gently lies across the landscape creating shadows that mark the beginning of the day’s end. Yet I have found something even more special in the early morning hours. In the quietness and solitude of the darkness I feel a stronger presence of Christ with me. My prayers seem somehow richer, deeper and more meaningful.

In Scripture we often find Jesus praying alone in the darkness of the early morning hours. It was a quiet time of peace, in which a hush laid over the land. Very little stirred and Jesus was able to come closer to the Father. He was able to be alone, and I believe that is part of the appeal for me as I run in the darkness. The world has not awakened yet and there is closeness to God. The streets are bare of any traffic and there are no distracting noises, only the soothing whistle of the train breaks the silence.

No comments:

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel
Our prayers rise like incense into heaven

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.
"...And the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night."