Thursday, December 11, 2008

Prayer: Listening for God's voice in Blessed Silence

The Catholic priest, author and theologian, the late Henri Nouwen wrote the following regarding prayer: "The real 'work' of prayer is to become silent and listen to the voice that says good things about me." Silence! How often do we simply sit still enough to allow our hearts and minds to quietly embrace the silence. If you're like me, probably - Never! Why is it that we are so against embracing silence as an effective means for prayer?

Sitting in silence doesn't come easy for many of us. It is uncomfortable, and even a Little unnatural, especially for an off the chart extrovert like me! We are used to a world that is full of constant noise, and relentless audio visual stimulation. To actually take a brief moment out of each day to quietly reflect on God's presence, while remaining still is almost a cardinal sin in a world that grades our accomplishments by how much stuff we can get done in a specific time frame. Believe me, the church is really no different in this regard. We often like to imagine ourselves as a contemplative haven providing a spiritual respite for those who are weary, burdened and in search of a deeper relationship with God. While we do indeed work to make the church a spiritual haven (at least at Emmanuel) the parish is quite a busy place, often abuzz with a flurry of work, and noise (mostly pleasant sounds). Even in our Sunday liturgy we tend to fill every single moment of worship with words, music or some form of announcements.

As rector, I'm as guitly as anyone else when it comes to remaining still and embracing the silence. I often find myself pushing aside those important reflective moments in order to complete the many administrative tasks I encounter daily. Even at this very moment I am reminded of how subtle is the need to fill our life with noise; as I am writing an article on silent prayer I just realized that I am listening to music! (It is church music if I must justify my need for sound).

Silence in prayer is vital if we are to listen to God and hear his voice. I will never forget many years ago while driving down the road in my old beat up Chevy Blazer, just a praying to God about something I considered most important, and certainly deserving of being placed first on God's priority list. Suddenly I stopped talking and simply shut my mouth (I like to pray out loud that way I am assured God hears what I say - Yea, right!). I will never forget that beautiful moment of clarity, an epiphany. In my hearts ear I heard God's voice say, "John, would you please hush for one moment so that I can get a word in this conversation?" Well, what a powerful and profound revelation. You mean if I shut up, quiet my heart and mind and allow God to speak then I just might experience God working in and around me? Simply put - Yes!

One of my seminary professors used to always say, "Silence is the language of God; anything else is a bad translation." Silence is an important and an integral part of our prayer life. I encourage all of us to take 30 minutes out of our day (15 minutes if that is all you can do) and sit silently (with no TV, radio or computer running). As Nouwen goes on to tell us, "We will gradually discover that something is happening which we were not even conscious." How will we know something is happening one might ask? Nouwen goes on to say, "The movement of God's Spirit is very gentle, very soft - and hidden. It does not seek attention. But that movement is also very persistent, strong and deep. It changes hearts radically." Silent prayer is the "faithful discipline that reveals to each one of us that we are truly blessed by God, and that God gives us the power to bless others." Trust me, we will hear and know in our hearts when God speaks to us.

The day I had my profound revelation while driving my truck down some south Georgia road was a true blessing; one that has remained with me for the past 15 years. I hope that you too may find this reminder to quietly listen for God in prayer a blessing. When practiced on a regular basis silent prayer truly does strengthen the spirit, and draws us into a deeper relationship with God.

1 comment:

ging said...

I was just catching up on "thingsthatinspire" and your blog caught my eye...WOW...God does work in mysterious ways. And just when I needed him, and you apparently. I had a very ho-hum day, that turned into a very blue evening and a shadow over me that I just couldnt shake. So you see why I turned to swestie....then I started reading "bloggingwithfatherjohn"...I have been absorbing everything I can get on your blog. Swestie inspired me, got me moving in the right "stop the self loathing" direction and you were the air above water for me tonight, just what I needed right now. You not only inspire, you allow me to look inside myself and also who I am surrounded by and you know what, I like what I see. I am blessed and you and yours are a part of that blessing. And for me, tonight, that is enough, that is all I needed. Thank you!

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel
Our prayers rise like incense into heaven

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.
"...And the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night."