Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Wasted Life. Wait a minute! Not so fast!


I recently read a book by an author who rightly said that all we do we are to do for the glory of God. I agreed with the gentleman regarding that aspect. What we do in life is important and inviting God to be a part of our daily tasks no matter how mundane is vital to a God centered life. But that is about where I stopped agreeing with this man. He went on to condemn people for such things as enjoying early retirement and searching for seashells on the beach. He said and I quote, “When we stand before our creator is all we are going to have to show for our lives ‘is look God at the pretty sea shells I collected.’”

I understand his point that we stand a chance of wasting our lives if we are not living every aspect to the glory of God. I agree with him in those regards. Where I disagree however is that we can glorify God in the simple acts of enjoying searching for seashells. After all they are God’s creation and formed in God’s beauty. To find enjoyment in that beauty is to find joy in God.

For this gentleman a wasted life is a life that is not constantly spent being “busy” evangelizing the Gospel message. (And when I say “Busy” I do mean “Busy”). Now while I am definitely supportive of evangelism, I believe it can be done in many diverse ways, not just physical and temporal outreach (which is important!). Yet evangelism can take many forms. Why limit such an important ministry?

Evangelism is living life as a wholesome example in Christ. It is saying, “Wow! Look at the beauty of God’s creation!” It is saying, “Thank you Lord for giving me the time to enjoy this beautiful life you have so graciously blessed me.” Evangelism is sharing that message of God’s glory and grace with others through not just words, but by actions such as “joy.” God wants us to live a joy filled life that is reconciled to him.

I believe that if I collected seashells and had the time to enjoy doing so that when I stand before my creator one day I can say, “Thank you Lord for the simple pleasures you gave me in life. I shared that beauty with others in hopes that they might find joy in your simplicity as well.”

We often confuse evangelism with “works righteousness.” In my opinion “works righteousness” is a wasted life. Who are we really trying to glorify? God? O ourselves? When we say, “Look at all the good things I have done God! I didn’t waist a single minute relaxing or taking in the beauty of your creation. I worked in the vineyard and didn’t waist my life.” I believe this type of life causes us to miss out on the goodness of living a creative life.

Verbal evangelism is fine if someone truly believes God is calling them to live that kind of life (and God does call some people to that ministry). But to lump everyone into that single pot is simply wrong. We are diverse people with diverse gifts. The point is to use those gifts and the joy they bring to glorify God. Don’t force a square peg in a round hole! I believe God wants us to live a balanced and wholesome life that finds joy in his creation and re-creation as well. I believe God takes pleasure in the fact that we can look at a seashell and see his marvelous beauty. To me that is not a wasted life. It is a life that glorifies God!

No comments:

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel
Our prayers rise like incense into heaven

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.
"...And the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night."