Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Quiet Shades of Darkness


Rain pitter pats on the windowsill just behind my back. It’s only a slight drizzle but the sound is delightful and methodical in the still blackness. The night draws late and sleep comes so very slow. My mind is wandering to and fro lost in a world of amazing grace. The power of the Holy Spirit has overwhelmed me, providing me the energy and need to write about God and his infinite glory. The urge is so real I can feel the power of inspiration created before me. I realize in astonishment that I am but a mere caldron of the Divine and Heavenly Light. The words flood upon the paper effortlessly as if my spirit is an open and blank space for God to emboss his grand stamp.

In the quiet shades of darkness only a small light burns softly against the back of my hands. The sound of Celtic music from ancient days long gone plays in my heart as I reflect on the majestic glory of this day. The beautiful sound of the Irish flute and the strings of the mandolin pluck the strings of my lively soul.

Why am I so awake and ablaze with God’s heavenly passion? What makes this day so special and nighttime so bright? The fact is so simple that it is often overlooked. I was able to breathe another breath of holy, and God given life today. Despite the problems and worries of the world God gave me the gift of another day of life.

We often take life for granted. Perhaps some of us think we shall exist in this world forever. But that is only a dream of profound denial. Every single day no matter how good or how bad is a gift from God, for I know not when I shall perish. Despite the struggling economy and lack of worldly possessions, my life is filled with the Holy Spirit. As I sit here in the darkness all I can think of is how glad I am that love divine has touched my inner most being in an unearthly manner. Lifted are the veil of depression and the cataracts of despair. Gone are the tears of sorrow and the discontentment of the heart.

While I still struggle with the worldly economy, tonight in this divine darkness I can let it go in order to embrace a different kind of economy; the economy of God, the Blessed Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For it is in the economy of God that my true unfailing investments lie.  It is in that relationship that reconciliation to people and creation frees my spirit to move forward looking to enjoy another day. And the rain continues to pitter pat upon the windowsill, as I drift off to sleep knowing that all is well in this particular moment with God this night. Tomorrow is a new day. 

No comments:

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel

Trinity Wall Street Conference Center Chapel
Our prayers rise like incense into heaven

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.

Church of the Good Shepherd, Augusta, Ga.
"...And the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night."